As a registered not-for-profit organisation, EFT International is exempt from the requirement to register with the Office of the Information Commissioner under the UK Data Protection Act 1998. However, we have chosen to voluntarily register so as to demonstrate our commitment to be open, transparent, and seen to be acting in the best interests of our members.
We can only hold data about you, as a member, with your consent. This can be implied - for instance, by giving us your name and address you are deemed to consent to our holding it and using it for purposes connected with the administration of your membership. In certain cases we are not allowed to hold certain sensitive data at all without your express consent.
You have the right to make a formal request to see what data we hold for you, and the data that we hold must be processed fairly and lawfully.
In summary, the Data Protection Act requires us to follow certain principles in processing data, which are that data –
1. Is to be processed fairly and lawfully and in particular, shall not be processed unless specific conditions are met
2. Shall be obtained only for one or more specified and lawful purposes and shall not be further processed in any manner incompatible with that purpose or those purposes
3. Shall be adequate, relevant and not excessive in relation to the purpose or purposes for which it is processed
4. Shall be accurate and where necessary, kept up to date
5. Shall not be kept for longer than is necessary for that purpose or those purposes
6. Shall be processed in accordance with the rights of data subjects under the Act
7. Shall be kept secure, i.e. protected by an appropriate degree of security
8. Shall not be transferred to a country or territory outside the European Economic Area, unless that country or territory ensures an adequate level of data protection.
You can ask us what data we hold for you. In addition, you have certain rights under the Act. For a summary of what your rights are and how to enforce them, go to the website of the Information Commissioner at https://ico.org.uk